Sunday, February 11, 2007

Its a Family Affair

Family Matters - what is your background, are you part of a big or small family, are you close? how often do you see your family, and is there anything you would like to improve or change about your family life?"

So this is SJ's prompt today, strange really as this weekend I have thought and spoken alot about my family, my immediate family isnt that big, mum, dad, older brother and myself, there are 9 years between me and Lee, and growing up that was a huge age gap and never really had that brother sister type scenario, but as we have grown up we have got closer, funny as he lives in Spain, but yet we are closer now then years gone by, strange I know, but when we meet up we are always having a laugh, out drinking, Lee is a dry funny bloke, I have yet to find someone that acutally doesnt like him, he has that like-ability about him, its one of those moment when your watching him and people just laughing and smiling its one of those proud moments 'Im glad he is my brother' type moments!!

Mum and Dad, it was hard growing up, I think you either have one of those childhoods where you get everything and are privaliged but not in a spoilt way, or your family have to work double hard, now im not after sympathy at all, as I wouldnt change my upbringing at all, but I always remember both my parents working flat out, mum having more then one job but always there to pick me up from school, and dad working on the post working all kinds of shifts. The worst I remembered was at Christmas, my dad would go onto Christmas pressure it was a shift the post office named, and I honestly wouldnt see him from the 1st December to the 24th December he was working flat out, but then would have the best fortnight ever over Christmas, and it was that time that NOTHING was open for at least a week!!

Dad passed away last May he was only 65 and with this happening has brought us much closer, I was daddy's girl and I think most little girls are, so it was a huge loss for me, and my family. We have always been close and yes had our struggles growing up but what family doesnt, I love and adore my family, im very lucky.



This is my brother, his wife and 2 boys on their Disney holiday in 2006







This is my mum and dad back in 2004 celebrating their 40th Wedding Anniversary

4 comments:

chloe said...

lovely post claire, it's funny sometimes how moving apart can bring you closer together with someone! xx

Unknown said...

I think moving apart makes you miss what you had on your doorstep. I also think it makes you work harder at staying close. Lovely post Claire.
Caz
x

Paula J Atkinson said...

I too come from a working family background. Mum died when I was just 7 & we never saw Dad.I have learned self sufficiency from too young an age.
Lovely post Claire, your upbringing has made you value what you have & work hard for it.I wouldn't change a thing except perhaps that mum had not gone.

Linda said...

Claire, my mum was a postie so I cam empathise with the December absences, it is a hard job to do. Glad your family have kept the closeness.